Dog: Beds Clothes Ramps Remedies Sweaters Toys Treadmills
Grain Free Dog Treats
Make grain free dog treats by blending veggies!
|Organic homegrown squash for a grain free dog treat
Feed to your dog with a spoon, syringe or cake icing tube.
These vegetable smoothies can be mixed by hand, with a
food processor, or with a blender.
Human smoothies are generally served chilled, but smoothies for dogs can easily be served at room temperature.
However, it'd be best to refrigerate or freeze any leftover portions.
If it's a very hot period, you can freeze the smoothie mix into ice cube trays or popsicle molds; otherwise, add ice cubes when blending.
Another idea is to use a cold soup recipe, and turn that into a vegetable smoothie. Dogs' digestive systems are not quite the same as that of humans, so be aware that some foods should be avoided. See more on that here.
Basic Grain Free Dog Treats Recipe
- 1/4 C vegetable puree for smaller dogs; 1/2 C for large dogs
Blend each 1/4 C with one of the following:
- 2 tbsp low or nonfat dairy product (if your dog tolerates dairy products well)
- or 2 tbsp leftover vegetable liquid
Spices and garnishments that can be added include:
cilantro, cinnamon, cumin, curry powder, dill, marjoram, mustard powder, oregano, parsley,
black pepper, and rosemary.
milk solids may be a good, nutritious addition when you make these
Vegetable to Use (organic preferred)
- Carrots and parsnips
- Sweet potatoes or yams
- Other squashes
Vegetable and Spice Combinations
A few ideas for combining vegetables and adding spices to make these grain free smoothies:
- Beans and squashes, 1/4 C each, plus 1/8 tsp dill
- Beets and parsnips, 1/4 C each, plus 3 tbsp dry milk, plus 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- Broccoli and potatoes, 1/4 C each, plus 3 tbsp dry milk, plus 1 tsp curry or mustard powder, plus 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Carrots and potatoes, 1/4 C each, plus 3 tbsp dry milk, plus 1/8 tsp dill and rosemary
- Lentils (or split peas) and tomatoes, 1/4 C each, plus 1 tsp curry powder or 1/2 tsp basil or oregano
Feel free to mix and match these ingredients to make your dog's favorite
Ingredients to Avoid
Since onion (even the powder) and avocado are toxic for dogs and tomatoes mildly so (see Dangerous Foods For Dogs) it's best to leave those out. Nutmeg is also on that list.
For more grain free dog treats recipes see Healthy Dog Treats