Dog: Beds Clothes Ramps Remedies Sweaters Toys Treadmills
Homemade Dog Costumes for Halloween
We have many ideas for homemade dog costumes for Halloween!
Simply click the link above to discover a bunch of unique outfits to make for various dog sizes.
The Rescue Team
This consists of a large dog wearing a sizable keg around his or her neck, accompanied by a person with a first aid kit or bag marked with a red cross.
The person could be wearing hiking gear and a Swiss hat, and also be using hiking poles for an additional effect. Alternatively, the human could be wearing a white T-shirt with a large red cross.
Rescue Dog Keg
I designed this costume specifically for Comet, who didn't like wearing clothes but could tolerate something hanging around his neck.
The keg is an easy item to make from things you'll likely find around the house. Instructions follow.
Comet to the rescue!
- A tall empty aluminum can
- Newspaper or padding material (plastic bags, fiber stuffing, foam)
- Brown paper bag or brown paper
- Masking or other tape
- Electrical tape or other colored tape or colored marker (optional)
- Cord, string or ribbon
- A knitting needle or skewer
- Make a hole in the opposite end of the can, in about the same place (be careful not to hurt yourself).
- Wrap a sheet of newspaper the same height as the can around it and glue the ends together.
- Take 2 sheets of newspaper and fold them together, lengthwise, about 2" [50 mm] wide to make a thick, narrow strip.
the strip around the middle of the can. After you've gone once around,
keep winding, gluing the strip to itself. Tape the end down with masking
Adding the 5.5" strip
|2"strip around the center, followed by the 3.5" piece
- Take another 2 sheets of newspaper, and fold them a little wider,
about 3.5" [90 mm]. Center the strip you have made over the one on
the can and glue, wind and tape the end as before.
- Now take just
one sheet and fold it lengthwise to a width of 5.5" [140 mm] as shown in the photo at left.
Follow the same procedure as above.
- There will be
some extra space between the can and this strip along the
edges. Fold these edges in little V's and tape them down so that there
are no more gaps.
For the final layer, take one sheet and fold it so it ends up being 6.5" [165 mm] wide. Follow the previous step. Your padded can should now resemble a
Finishing the Keg
|Keg ready for adding the cord
- Put a skewer through both holes in the can. Tape the cord or
ribbon to the end that doesn't have a knob on it. Pull the cord through
the holes and tape in place with about 6" [150 mm] sticking out
- Glue lengthwise strips of brown paper over the barrel.
- Fold the ends over and tape them down.
- Use black tape to make stripes at regular intervals as shown in the top photo.
- Make brown paper circles and put holes in them for the cord.
- Thread the cord or ribbon through and glue the circles onto the ends of the keg.
For another of our large homemade dog costumes for Halloween, please see Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf.
Or else, return from Homemade Dog Costumes for Halloween to Homemade Dog Costume Ideas