Dog: Beds Clothes Ramps Remedies Sweaters Toys Treadmills
Make a Dog Crate Cover
Make a dog crate cover out of fabric. It's easy and inexpensive!
Cute crate cover made by Amanda for her dog Miley
You can easily make a cover for any type of dog crate out of fabric if you follow the simple directions below.
Best of all, it need not cost much!
You can also make a different type of cover made from old blinds.
- Tape measure
- Needle and thread or sewing machine
- Fabric glue (optional)
- Cording (optional)
- Measure the crate surfaces. Areas to measure are the top, the left and right sides, and the front and back. Each will be covered by a separate panel of fabric that you later sew or glue together.
- Add an inch and a half (35 mm) to each panel width and length to make seam allowances and ensure your cover will not be too small.
- Put your measurements down on paper in the form of drawings and clearly mark each panel area. If you have quad paper, you can do the drawings to scale (for example, one block equals two inches). You can then cut the paper pieces out and try them in different combinations to help you in figuring out how much fabric you need.
Find a Suitable Fabric
If you're adding the cover for warmth, find a quilt at a thrift store that you can cut up or an old sleeping bag or two.
Be sure to have your measurements and measuring tape with you. Check twice to make sure that you'll have enough fabric.
You can also buy quilted fabric or create your own insulating panels by taking two layers of fabric and putting batting in between them. If you choose to do this, pin and sew the three layers together so that you have a complete panel before you try and attach it to the other panels.
Cut the Fabric
Use a piece of chalk to mark out the panels on your fabric.
If need be, pin the fabric to a few layers of newspaper to keep it in alignment before you mark it and start cutting.
Sew or Glue the Sides Together
Here's where you see how easy it is to make a dog crate cover!
- First pin the pieces together inside out
- Note that you will only attach the top end of the front panel - leave the sides unpinned to form a flap
- Try the cover on the crate. Adjust as necessary
- Sew or glue the side panels to the top piece and the back panel
- Sew or glue the top part of the front panel to the top panel
- Finish off the seams along the edges of the front flap
- Put two strips of velcro (the hooked part) on the top panel
- Roll up the front panel
- Add the other half of the velcro strips to it so they match up with the ones on the top panel
- In other words, you want to place the velcro so that when you roll up the front panel, it will stay attached to the top
Add Cording (optional)
For an extra touch, add cording along the seams between the panels. This can be glued on or sewn.
That's all you need to do to make a dog crate cover to leave your dog feeling like there is a cozy den awaiting!
Return from Make a Dog Crate Cover to Home