Indoor Dog Ramps - Materials
Materials for indoor dog ramps are easy to obtain.
It's relatively simple to build your own dog bed or couch ramp.
As a DIY project, you get control over materials, size, shape and cost.
Let's start with some ideas to save money:
- Look around for items you can reuse or reclaim.
- Ask at lumber stores or Home Depot about their free scrap bins.
- Use an old end table for the platform the same height as the couch or bed your dog is trying to reach.
Before you continue on to the materials and cut list, you need to do some planning to figure out what size ramp to make. To make it easier, we've outlined the process at Planning to Build Dog Ramps for Beds and Couches.
The Ramp (sloped part)
The ramp consists of the following parts and materials:
- Rectangular top:
One piece of plywood, 3/8 inch thick, the width and length you determined.
- Two identical triangular sides:
1/4 to 3/8 inch (6 to 10 mm) thick plywood, height, length and slope you determined.
- Ramp supports:
Two 2x2s (50x50mm) to serve as supports along the sloped part
(hypotenuse of the triangle). Cut them six inches shorter than the
- Inside braces:
Two 2x2s or 1x4s (25x100mm), each the inside width of the ramp.
The Platform (landing area)
The platform is optional and consists of the following parts and materials:
- Square top: A square piece of plywood, 3/8-inch (10 mm) thick, same width as the ramp.
- Four legs: 2x2s to fit as vertical supports under the platform. These need to be cut to the height of the platform minus the thickness of the platform.
- Four braces between the legs: Either 1x2s, 1x3s or 1x4s, cut to the width of the platform.
- Hardware: 1-1/4 inch drywall screws and three hooks to attach to the ramp.
Indoor Dog Ramps:
- One piece of non-skid carpet 6 inches longer than the length and 4 inches wider than the width of the ramp OR
- Non-skid paint or regular paint with added rubber stripping or wooden lathe pieces across the slope.
- Carpet, upholstery cloth, or paint to cover the plywood side(s) facing the room.
- Hardware: 1-1/4 inch (30 mm) drywall screws and staples to attach carpet.
Now that you have the custom materials for your indoor dog ramps together, the next step is to actually build the ramp!
Return from Indoor Dog Ramps - Materials to Homemade Dog Ramp Designs