Large Dog Costume Idea:
The Wolf & Red Riding Hood
This large dog costume idea came about because I love the story of Little Red
Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf.
Sometimes a child would ask
whether Comet was a wolf, and with his pointed ears and fairly long nose, I thought this might be the perfect costume for him. Making a granny cap and nightgown to fit him, and a red cape for me, seemed quite doable and pretty quick.
Although Comet passed away before I could get to making this large dog costume for him, we have a site visitor from Maryland who came up with her own way of making the perfect outfit as shown in the above photos. I feel they're better than my original instructions for the Big Bad Wolf Costume.
Sharon's directions for putting together the headband, granny cap, glasses and gown are ingenious, in my opinion, and can be found at DIY Dog Costume: Big Bad Wolf/Grandma.
Instructions are here for making the cape.
Big Bad Wolf Costume
- An opaque shower cap or a piece of white stuffing material or
other material that looks like a granny cap when you put it on your
dog's head, behind the ears.
- Elastic, enough to go from behind one of your dog's ears, under the chin and back up to the other ear Or light colored ribbon to make ties under the dog's chin.
- An old, light-colored cotton nightie that is big enough to fit your dog.
- Sew the elastic to the cap on one end.
- Put the cap on your dog's head, behind the ears if possible
- Stretch the elastic lightly so that it will hold the cap on and mark it and the cap.
- Sew the other end of the elastic to the other side of the cap at the points marked. Check it on your dog to make sure it is not too tight or too loose.
- If you use ribbon for ties, sew one tie on each side of the cap and test it on your dog. Cut off any excess lengths.
- Put the nightie on your dog and tuck in and sew or cut away any areas that are slack so the dog cannot trip over them.
- Add ribbons or Velcro to the nightie for fasteners if necessary.
Little Red Riding Hood Costume
- A piece of red rectangular fabric* about 30 x 60 inches
[760mm x 1520mm]
- Red cord or ribbon, about 18 inches [460mm] long
- A basket with a handle to carry on your arm
- A fake or real pie or eggs to put in the basket
*Any fabric that you can get will do, including a blanket or towel.
You can make the fabric shorter and less wide if you are a small person,
the main thing is you want it to look like a hood with a cloak and you
don't want to cover your arms all the way.
- Drape the fabric over your head, with the longer ends falling over your shoulders to your elbows
- Pull the two sides together under your chin, and mark each of the points where they meet with a safety pin
- Attach one end of the ribbon or cord to each point by sewing or
using a safety pin, then cut the cord in the middle. You should now have
More On Large Dog Costumes
If you end up making the outfits we'd love to have a photo or two to put on this page - simply contact us.
For the awesome DIY lion's mane costume at left, this posting on Instructables gives you step-by-step directions.
See here for other large dog costume ideas.
Return from this large dog costume page to main dog costumes page.